Today's Top News in U.S.
National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre and President Trump have spoken, a senior administration official confirmed to CBS News. The White House has not disclosed what the two spoke about during the phone call.
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — The man accused of carrying out last weekend’s deadly mass shooting at a Walmart in the Texas border city of El Paso confessed to officers while he was surrendering and later explained that he had been targeting Mexicans, authorities say.
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Authorities say the 21-year-old man accused of carrying out the deadly mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart confessed after surrendering and said he had been targeting Mexicans.
President Donald Trump on Friday said he had “tremendous support” for possible new measures to tighten background checks on gun buyers, claiming that even Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., a traditional opponent of such laws, was “totally on board.”
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Thursday that his House panel is conducting an impeachment inquiry into President Trump . Nadler added that the committee will decide by the year's end whether to refer articles of impeachment to the House floor.
Walmart is removing from its stores nationwide signs, displays or videos that depict violence following a mass shooting at an El Paso, Texas, store that killed 22 people. The retailer instructed employees in an internal memo to remove any marketing material, turn off or unplug video game consoles that show violent games — specifically Xbox and PlayStation units, and to make sure that no violence is depicted on screens in its electronics departments.
"Team Mitch" is back on Twitter. The social media giant, which had locked Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s campaign account Wednesday after it posted a video of a profanity-filled protest outside his home in Kentucky, made the announcement Friday.
President Trump on Friday said he'd "love" to see quarterback Colin Kaepernick sign with an NFL team "if he's good enough" to compete in the league. "I think if he was good enough — I know the owners. I know [New England Patriots owner] Bob Kraft. I know so many of the owners — if he's good enough they'd sign him … they will do anything they can to win games," Trump said as he left the White House for fundraisers in the Hamptons.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is not calling the Senate back to Washington for an emergency session to address recent mass shootings, but gun control measures will be on the table when Congress reconvenes in September, he said in an interview with Louisville radio station WHAS Thursday.
WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Joe Biden was quick to try to clean up his latest campaign trail slip-up Friday by pivoting to a counterattack on President Donald Trump. Trump and Republicans are hitting him because "they need to divert" from the second anniversary of the fatal white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, he said.
President Trump on Friday dismissed the backlash against Stephen Ross, who has faced an outcry from SoulCycle customers since news leaked of the fundraiser he's hosting for the president in the Hamptons, N.Y., on Friday.
Hong Kong (CNN) — Hundreds of pro-democracy activists began on Friday what is intended to be a three-day occupation of Hong Kong's international airport, part of a series of demonstrations marking the 10th straight weekend of protests across the Asian financial hub.
Democratic hopeful Rep. John Delaney, D-Md., faced shouted questions over why he wouldn't plainly call President Trump a "white supremacist" as some of his fellow 2020 contenders have.
President Trump took aim at the entertainment industry on Friday after returning the night before from the scenes of two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, blaming popular culture for supposedly pushing "dangerous" movies on society.
WASHINGTON — In the wake of the largest-ever immigration raid in a single state, child welfare services were left grappling with children who came home from school to find their parents had been arrested at one of the seven Mississippi food processing plants targeted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Wednesday.
(CNN) — A former US Olympian was charged with two counts of attempted murder Thursday after a shooting was reported at his New Jersey farm, authorities said. Michael Barisone, 54, was part of the US Olympic Dressage Team in the 2008 Olympics in China. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office said in a news release that he has been charged with attempted murder as well as weapons charges related to the incident.
Miami Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills says his recent criticism over team owner Stephen Ross' decision to host a fundraiser for President Donald Trump has led to him receiving death threats.
NEW DELHI (AP) — A strict curfew in Indian-administered Kashmir in effect for a fifth day was eased Friday to allow residents to pray at mosques, officials said, but some protests still broke out in the disputed region despite thousands of security forces in the streets as tensions remained high with neighboring Pakistan.
- CHAOS DWARF PETARD AND BAZOOKA TEAMS C22
- Hobbyboss 1 35 - Soviet Ss-23spider Tactical Ballistic Miss - 135 Ss23 Spider
- Carrera Evolution 27556 FORD TORINO sizeDEGA Bobby Our , no. 92 , NIP
- 70km h 1 10 Drive 4WD Remote Control Model RC Racing Car Drift Toy Vehicle
- Mysterium - Brand New & Sealed
- KESS MODEL KS43000281 ALFA ROMEO ZETA 6 ZAGATO 1983 METALLIC blueE 1 43 DIE CAST
- Minichamps 1 43 f1 Minardi European PS01 F. ALONSO
- EFE LONDON TRANSPORT AEC RT BUS 34112
- Final Fantasy VIII Action Figure Series 4 Guardian Force Odin. Brand New
- ARTFX Plus Flash - The Flash (TV Series)
- FRONTLINE FIGURES-insignia real caballos predectores Británicas, chargean
- 25mm roman era roman - legionaries 16 figures - inf (26017)
- Marvel DOMEZ Series 2 COMPLETE Set of 8 - DEADPOOL Series 1 Figures - Opened
- AFV CLUB - TANKS - 1 35 SCALE - VARIOUS MODELS AVAILABLE
- DURATRAX 15-PC ULTIMATE TOOL SET W POUCH - DTXR0400
- Batman Animated Series Batman Bust Diamond Select
- Ferrari 250 LM Le Mans 1968 David Piper in 1 18 Scale by Looksmart
- 1 18 ONYX SAUBER PETRONAS C16 JOHNNY HERBERT
- Opel Diplomat a Coupe V8 1965-67 bluee bluee 1 43
- Shave A Sheep Family LEGO Board Game NEW + UNUSED
- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons TSR Module A4 Dungeons of the Slave Lords 9042 VGC
- 1 35 Scale resin model kit - German Panzergrenadiers in Battle, WWII
- Transformers g1 original vintage targetmaster crosshairs 100% complete
- Rahm Kota 2007 STAR WARS 30th Anniversary FORCE Unleashed MOC ()
- Estatua de colección Gentle Giant Star Wars Episodio VII Sandtrooper 1 6 (80330)
- SCALEXTRIC C3591A Peugeot 205 T16 Salonen BNIB MINT BOXED
- Portable RC Drone Quadcopter SYMA X56W FPV WiFi HD Camera Air Fixed High Headles
- [NEW] Balance Stirling Engine Model External Combustion Engine
- 1 43 JORDAN 1996 LAUNCH PEUGEOT RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- Corgi 80301 Garrett 4CD Road Tractor Bunty Diecast Model in 1 50 Scale
- LOL Surprise Fizz Factory Birthday Christmas Gift
- Ultimate Kabuki Drop Resource by JC Sum - Book
- TAMIYA 35290 Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf N 1 35 Military Model Kit
- Vintage Nikko Phoenix Offroad Evolution RTR With Battery & Charger
- Traxxas Rustler Bandit Stampede Slash Transmission Assembly & Dust Cover
- Transformers Power of Primes Sludge
- Lot star wars 1 18 3 3 4 figures star wars loose figures
- MEPHISTO POLYSTONE STATUE BOWEN DESIGNS F. BRONZE VERSION
- Mighty Max Shrunken Head Lava Lord 100% Complete - blueebird Toys
- Matchbox TP-21 Datsun & Motorcycle Trailer met. bluee mint rare french blister
- Hape International E3002 HAP Park and Go Garage
- (G) triang spot on LWB LANDROVER - 308
- Lego Technic 42022 Hot Rod Brand New Sealed Very Rare Free Shipping
- Transformers DOTM Da-34 Leadfoot Lot Complete Takara Exclusive Rare
- 1 6 SCALE DRAGON GURKHA FIGURE, STORMING MOUNT WILLIAN. NEW LOSE.
- Play Arts Kai PA Deadpool Marvel Variant Action Figure Statue Model Box Set
- Minicraft 1 144 Aircraft of the Presidency Limited Edition MCR14486 Model Kits
- M B FLYCAR PORSCHE GT1 blue blueE CORAL REF A37 HARD TO FIND
- Screw Set for the Mugen MBX-4 - Stainless Steel & Steel - ISK & IS
- HUGE MAGNETIC BUILDING 200 PCE SMARTSET MAGNETIC EDUCATIONAL CONSTRUCTION TOY
- Metal-18 - Citroën DS21 Chapron Congreenible Palm Beach 1968 - 1 18
- FIRST 43 - Mitsubishi Grandis 2003 - 1 43
- Corgi Operation Chastise Avro Lancaster The Dambusters Special Edition 47304
- Transformers ToyWorld Limited Edition ORION TW02C (OPTIMUS) COMPLETE
- DC Comics Bombshells The Joker & Harley Quinn 2nd Edition statue 34912
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) on Friday called upon Walmart to stop selling guns after a mass shooting was carried out in one of its stores. "Companies that sell guns have a responsibility to the safety of their communities," Warren, a 2020 presidential candidate, wrote in a series of tweets. "@Walmart is one of the largest gun retailers in the world."
An armed man who walked into a Walmart store in Missouri dressed in body armor and fatigues and was detained at gunpoint by an off-duty firefighter is "lucky he's alive still" considering the situation he created, a police official said.
DES MOINES – Andrew Yang is taking aim at some of his competitors for the Democratic presidential nomination. In a short interview with Fox News on Friday after speaking at the Des Moines Register’s "soapbox" at the Iowa State Fair – a tradition for White House hopefuls – Yang said his universal basic income proposal is “twice as good” as a similar plan by top-tier primary contender Sen. Kamala Harris of California.
(CNN) — A US Border Patrol boat patrolling the Rio Grande was shot at early Friday morning from the riverbank on the Mexican side, US Customs and Border Protection, or CPB, reported.
ESPN has postponed a planned tournament broadcast for the popular video game Apex Legends in the wake of recent mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. Highlights from the competition, the EXP Apex Legends Invitational at X Games, were set to air this weekend on ESPN2. Apex Legends is a popular battle royale game and Fortnite competitor in which players use weapons, including guns, to eliminate other users.
Richard Gere on Friday boarded a Spanish humanitarian ship that has been stuck in the Mediterranean Sea for more than a week because no European government will welcome the 121 migrants who are aboard.
(CNN) — The sex abuse case against Cuba Gooding Jr. can go forward after a New York judge threw out a motion to dismiss the case, according to court documents. Judge Phyllis Chu also set a trial date of September 3. Chu reached her decision on Wednesday.
Malaysia has filed criminal fraud charges against 17 Goldman Sachs executives. The individuals who were charged directed three Goldman Sachs units that Malaysia alleges mislead investors while working on $6.5 billion in bond sales for the state investment fund in 2012 and 2013, Bloomberg News reported on Friday. The fund is known as 1Malaysia Development Bhd., or 1MDB.
Scientists have distilled vodka from ingredients found in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, creating the first consumer product out of the area since the nuclear disaster over 30 years ago. Called Atomik, the artisan vodka is actually an experiment from researchers looking into how much radioactivity would transfer over to crops grown in the zone, according to the Chernobyl Spirit Company, the team that created it.
BOSTON — Rosie Ruiz, the Boston Marathon course-cutter who was stripped of her victory in the 1980 race and went on to become an enduring symbol of cheating in sports, has died. She was 66.
South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) on Friday unveiled a plan to overhaul the nation's health care system that would implement a public insurance option while working to improve and expand health services in rural areas and on Native American reservations.
Hong Kong (CNN) — Typhoon Lekima made landfall in the eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang early Saturday morning, hours after China issued a red alert about the storm. The storm reached China at about 1am local time (1pm Friday ET), according to estimates from CNN Weather.